Tuesday 2 May 2017

Jaq Hazell author Q and A!

So for this afternoon's post, a special Q and A with an author who's book                              I reviewed a little while ago now! 

The book has been released today and below is the interview with author, Jaw and links to purchase her lovely book too, enjoy!



What made you think of the main idea of a character who is 'living' as a bench?

I was out walking with my dog and as we passed a line of benches I imagined hearing a bench complain about being a bench. It was a teenage voice, someone with a bit of attitude who wanted to be elsewhere with her friends having fun. Initially I wrote a 300-word story and eventually it grew into a novel.

Do you believe we could, after we pass away, become like the character Ren and be a voice in our surroundings, or do you think it's wishful thinking the end is never the end?

My rational side thinks the end is the end and that’s it but at the same time there is so much we don’t understand so who knows what is possible. A few times I’ve thought I may have seen a ghost (while staying in old buildings while travelling), and have woken up feeling confused, but I assume I’ve imagined it because I’m overtired or half-asleep and dreaming.

How did you choose the setting for the book?

As the benches are located in quite an area that isn't in for example, a busy street in the centre of town.
Ren’s bench is close to where I had the initial idea for the novel. There are many benches all along the river and one or two are dedicated to young people who have passed and they are particularly sad. I deliberately chose a position where there is a lot to see (the bridge in one direction and in the other a café and restaurant), and yet at the same time it’s not buzzy enough for Ren. She’s young and would rather be in the centre of town.

Is there a character who stands out for you in the book now reading it through which didn't necessarily when the book was just in planning?

I’m really fond of Lionel, the old bench next to Ren’s. I didn’t know he was there until he started talking and it was a pleasant surprise. He’s a kind and thoughtful presence who reminds me of my Irish and English grandads.

The ending was very tragic – especially the lost love and future between Ren and Gabe – how do you think his life will play out?

That’s difficult to say without any spoilers. I would like to think that justice is served in the end and that the good characters in the novel go on to eventually find the right path in life, while those that are not so good receive their comeuppance at some point.

Did you already know how you wanted Ren to have died when you began writing?

From the start, I knew that Ren’s death was traumatic but I didn’t know the details. It does help to have a rough idea of an ending but I don’t like to plan too much because I find it’s more exciting to leave room for a few unexpected developments along the way.

One of the characters treats Ren very badly. Do you think that character will ever see the error of his/her ways in how he/she acted and treated Ren?

There is a certain character who lacks empathy and is only out for what suits him/her, and I would think it unlikely he/she would change as I think that character has little or no conscience.

Did you have any vices when writing, a specific place, song etc?

Like most writers, I drink a lot of coffee and can be easily distracted by biscuits, chocolate and social media. My desk is messy (a sign of creativity) and I sometimes shift my work to the kitchen table for a little more space. If I’m out and about, I can write pretty much anywhere – trains are good and I often write in the car if I’m waiting for one of my daughters.

Do you have any actors in mind for if the book was adapted into TV or film one day?

As the main characters are so young, they’d probably have to be newcomers, but if I was picking well-known actors I’d say someone like Maisie Williams or Chloe Moretz (if she can do an English accent) or Saoirse Ronan would be good for Ren and Jacob Anderson/Raleigh Ritchie has the looks for Gabe. Michael Gambon as Lionel would be amazing (and he’s the right age), or maybe Jim Broadbent or Bill Nighy.

Finally, do you have a playlist that's based around the book and events?

Like Ren, I’m an Amy Winehouse fan and I listened to Amy’s music while writing and also to the singers that influenced her. It was fun to research the music she liked and to imagine how Ren would react to these earlier artists. When it came to the party scenes, it was a case of checking out the tunes that were big a few years ago (when the novel is set) to work out a party playlist.


A huge thank you to Jaq for allowing me to interview her for the blog and you guys!


Links:

Amazon US
https://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Bench-Jaq-Hazell-ebook/dp/B01MYEI2XL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493734668&sr=8-1&keywords=My+life+as+a+bench

Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Life-Bench-Jaq-Hazell-ebook/dp/B01MYEI2XL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Destinations Of A Lifetime by Claudia Martin

In this book packed with stunning photography my stand out faves were the blue lagoon, ice caves and northern luights in Iceland as well as...